So sorry I have been MIA! I started an awesome new job, and training has been taking up all of my time! On top of that, I have been attending events on the weekends so free time is non-existent! If you are in the Houston area, try to come out to this event tomorrow night! Contact me for discounts for dress rentals from newforthenight.com!!!
Sunday, February 10th, Prabal Gurung released their much anticipated line in Target stores nationwide. The launch was closely watched as Target’s last collaboration back in December, with luxury brand Neiman Marcus, was a total failure resulting in many sad and disappointed Target and Neiman Marcus shoppers.
The line was way too expensive for avid Target shoppers and seemingly too dressy. It was quickly ushered to the clearance racks and then removed from stores.
Nevertheless, Target learned their lesson, and I’m happy to say I’m very pleased with the job they did with Prabal Gurung. Not only are the pieces on par with the clothing prices at Target, but the line’s romantic feel with floral patterns, bright pastel colors, and flowy dresses are perfect for Valentine’s Day and the Spring.
I was sad to see that so many pieces at my local Target were already taken or not in my size, but I managed to pick up the long sleeve tee. It’s still chilly and rainy here in Houston, so the long sleeves are prefect. The fit is awesome and the material is so soft. A lot of the pieces can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
All-in-all, Prabal Gurung collection at Target is a hit!
Happy Valentine’s Day! Hope it’s lovely!
Safe Haven opens today, Valentine’s Day! It’s a perfect date movie: it’s a love story (duh) but, honestly, not too sappy. A girl with a troubled past moves to a small town and is wooed by a fun-loving widower played by Josh Duhamel. The story line is very similar to the 1991 movie Sleeping with the Enemy starring Julia Roberts. Males in the audience were able to enjoy the psychological element and a little bit of action. For the ladies, Josh Duhamel is super cute and funny. He carries the movie and makes you fall in love. Pretty good for another love story by Nicholas Sparks.
Products I’m loving right now that won’t break the bank.
1. 3% hydrogen peroxide – is there anything this stuff can’t do? I use it primarily as a mouthwash to whiten my teeth. You would never know about my coffee and red wine addiction! The beauty is that peroxide is the main ingredient in those expensive whitening treatments. Just dilute the HP with a bit of water and use everyday as mouthwash. Kills germs, bad breath, and whitens your teeth with no sugar, alcohol, teeth sensitivity, or the heavy price tag! Love this stuff!
2. Pssssst! Instant Dry Shampoo – listen, I’ve tried them all. From the cheap to expensive and nothing has worked better than this one. What I especially like about it is that it goes on clear. I have dark hair, and every other dry shampoo I’ve used leaves my hair looking gray and dull. Also, it doesn’t stink! Which is a common problem I’ve run into. This shampoo absorbs excess oil, eliminates odor, and boosts volume. Great find!
3. Iman Second to None Cover Cream – I’ve just accepted the fact that makeup is just not made for mixed chicks like us. My skin has such a yellow undertone, I almost always have to get my makeup custom blended. Well, imagine my delight when I came across Iman’s makeup line for women of color. Sand medium matches my yellow undertone perfectly. Shock and awe.
4. Garnier Skin Renew Dark Spot Corrector – Another mixed chick issue I deal with: dark spots! Anytime I get a zit, even when it’s fully healed and gone, it leaves a dark spot. This product has a high concentration of Vitamin-C (which breaks up the dark spot) without breaking my budget.
5. SinuCleanse Neti Pot All Natural Nasal Wash System – I really wish I had listened to those hippies when I was in college. I was plagued with sinus infections due to the cold and dry mountain air. Every Winter, like clock work, I’d have to get antibiotics from the health center for my chronic sinus infections. Since I’ve been using the Neti Pot as an adult, not one sinus infection. If I get a hint of a cold or sniffle, I wash my nasal passages ASAP. It’s been working for me. I’ve generally gotten sick less since using the Neti Pot regularly.
— CVS pharmacy
Stay healthy and gorgeous!
Thursday, January 31, 2013, I was invited to attend the movie premiere of Chasing Beauty, a documentary based on the stories of models in pursuit of making it big in the fashion/modeling industry. The movie focuses on the ups and downs that can come with the so-called “glamorous” lifestyle. The movie does a great job of depicting the downside to all of the glitz and glamour of the industry and the unrealistic, and often unhealthy, practices of some of the individuals attempting to be successful in this business. The movie documents well that the industry is not for everyone and that you cannot compensate for an unnatural body. Stay true to yourself and the industry can be extremely rewarding.
I loved this documentary. It showed both sides of the industry without persecuting it for the decisions, eating disorders, etc. that often come with the people in it. The personal choices that people make in order to succeed or advance at any job are entirely their own. I do not believe the industry should be held accountable for the decisions of others.
The movie was followed by a panel of people in the industry including creator Brent Huff’s wife and active model, Shawn Huff. Shawn answered many questions about shooting the film but mostly stressed that modeling can have its ugly side. You need to have thick skin in order to excel.
The industry has also been taken over by a host of actresses and celebrities. And the digital age is contributing to the immediate gratification that digital editing brings. The industry is changing; hopefully the models can keep up.
Pick for Jadapa: Ash Arnelle Biker Jacket
This coat is perfect for Jadapa’s upcoming trip to San Fransico and Seattle. The wide collar is so chic and the shearling-lined inside provides warmth without having to add a bunch of layers.
A Fashion Fiend’s pick: Winchell Moto Boot by Vince Camuto
This boot combines comfort and style. The gold detail is the perfect addition to glam up a laid back outfit. Subtle accents, but they get the job done.
Pick for Mootz: High waisted shorts from Forever 21
Not your nerd pants anymore! Paired with a sick pair of heels and these former 80’s-style piece, you’ll be looking long and stylish. Zippers, belts, and sailor buttons are popular accents with this style of shorts.